Test Pattern Maker
Test Pattern Maker is a free utility for generating video and audio test patterns. Accurate test patterns are essential for properly calibrating your equipment and letting others know the levels you have used in your video production.
Because different video editing systems use different video and audio levels and formats, it's difficult to find accurate tests for a specific system. Test Pattern Maker makes it easy to generate just the tests you need in the format you need them.
Features and Benefits
- Generates eight video test patterns:
- EIA Color Bars
- EBU Color Bars
- SMPTE-style Color Bars
- 5-Step Luma Test
- 10-Step Luma Test
- Luma Ramp
- Supports square- and rectangular-pixel video formats
- Supports RGB (0-255) and Rec. 601 (16-235) video formats, ensuring compatibility with a wide variety of non-linear editing systems, including Final Cut Pro, Avid, Media100, Premiere, and EditDV.
- Generates accurate sine-wave audio test tones
Common Uses of Test Patterns
- Use color bars and tone at the head of video tapes to let the recipient know what levels you used.
- Use luma tests to check system linearity.
- Use the convergence test to check your video monitor.
- Use the overscan test to check image centering on your video monitor and in your camera's viewfinder.
Download a free copy of Test Pattern Maker.
So why are we making Test Pattern Maker available for free?
There are a lot of test pattern images floating around on the web, many either totally inaccurate or designed for use with a specific NLE. Using incorrect test patterns is worse than not using them at all. For example, placing color bars and tone at the head of a video tape is common practice. But if they don't accurately reflect the levels in the video that follows, someone playing back your video can misadjust their equipment, seriously degrading the quality of the playback. And just because your generating your video digitally doesn't mean you're immune; in today's world, virtually all video gets delivered by analog means, requiring the same adjustments and calibrations as traditional analog video.
- Test Pattern Maker requires a PowerPC-based Macintosh running Mac OS 8.0 or later and QuickTime 3.0 or later. Works in Classic mode under OS X.
Test Pattern Maker 1.0 is not compatible with Intel-based Macintosh systems.